CAP 9 CAP 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
A few people have suggested that I add some sort of "ground splash" to my latest front sprite.

I don't know if this improves the sprite or not. For those that have suggested that I cover the bottom of the sprite with the splash -- I tried that, but I really don't have enough room at the bottom to pull it off nicely.

In general, I'm not sure whether I will use this sprite or my first one (the big, mean brute posted a few days ago). I may not make a final submission at all. I'm not terribly excited about making a back sprite for either one, and I really like a couple of sprites submitted by others. We certainly aren't lacking for quality sprites this time around!

A few people have suggested that I add some sort of "ground splash" to my latest front sprite.

I don't know if this improves the sprite or not. For those that have suggested that I cover the bottom of the sprite with the splash -- I tried that, but I really don't have enough room at the bottom to pull it off nicely.

In general, I'm not sure whether I will use this sprite or my first one. I may not make a final submission at all. I'm not terribly excited about making a back sprite for either one, and I really like a couple of sprites submitted by others. We certainly aren't lacking for quality sprites this time around!

does this follow the unbroken line rule? and thank you for cutting back on the dithering! much better!

@Doug- I really don't like the 'jumping' sprite. Your first sprite was much better imo. Keep the shiny colors though.

KoA, yours is amazing, fix the sand and it's a fav

Aragon Bird- Definitely the purple. It brings out the dark type in it. However, the green seems more like a Colossoil to me. I don't like the brown.

Sketchy for my back sprite, wasn't sure if the style matched up with my earlier sprites so i want to hear some opinions ^_^

Edit: Made it a little darker.

I updated a few more details of my "leaping" sprite, including some skin splotches and a couple of other details.

I also played around with shiny colors. The base shiny colors below were lifted directly from the Mightyena sprite. Mightyena has a cool shiny IMO, and it's a Dark pokemon like our narwhal here. I think these colors are very "ground-ish" while still having a neat shiny look to it.

I'll certainly keep playing with shiny colors, but this brown and gold is my current fave.
i actually prefer this one over your new one. It looks fine without the rock blast

Does this look any better? I tried to make the dirt look more natural and less like a "cairn" (as Solstice in the Spriting thread put it so well), and now it looks like it came out of the ground from an angle, and not drilling straight up.

Also, what do you guys think about the Shinies I have made? Should I use one of these (shown below), or create another few?

Sorry about some of them being the old poses, I hadn't made the new pose yet when I had made these. Thanks in advance.

XandZero2, I like the pose, but I think the dirt could still use some work.

You don't have to copy Pokemon's style of spriting rocks and dirt, but it's worth a study. Notice the dirt around Diglett is made up of relatively few chunks of varied sizes and shapes, that fade into the surrounding area so it doesn't seem like an isolated block. The chunks of dirt are also colored and shaded separately. Wyverii has a beautiful example of those kinds of dirt clusters. Alternatively, if you're going for a burst of energy, take a look at what KoA and Doug have done to suggest direction and movement.

As for your backsprite, pkmn_taicho, I think it's a good start. I don't know if you used construction lines or not, but it's a good idea, particularly for such a geometric Pokemon as this. Judging from the perspective, the drills on his back should be moved to the left a tad. I'd also go back and take a look at the eye. Other than that, I'm digging the hulk to his shoulder and the jut of his chin.

Myself, I think these will be my final male and female sprites. But I'll probably be making a few changes here and there before the polls go up.

In terms of choosing a shiny:

Any preference? Suggestions?

You don't have to copy Pokemon's style of spriting rocks and dirt, but it's worth a study. Notice the dirt around Diglett is made up of relatively few chunks of varied sizes and shapes, that fade into the surrounding area so it doesn't seem like an isolated block. The chunks of dirt are also colored and shaded separately. Wyverii has a beautiful example of those kinds of dirt clusters. Alternatively, if you're going for a burst of energy, take a look at what KoA and Doug have done to suggest direction and movement.

As for your backsprite, pkmn_taicho, I think it's a good start. I don't know if you used construction lines or not, but it's a good idea, particularly for such a geometric Pokemon as this. Judging from the perspective, the drills on his back should be moved to the left a tad. I'd also go back and take a look at the eye. Other than that, I'm digging the hulk to his shoulder and the jut of his chin.

Myself, I think these will be my final male and female sprites. But I'll probably be making a few changes here and there before the polls go up.

Thanks for the C+C ^_^ I think the first shiny, the one on the left, is my favorite. Love the black drills more than you can imagine, and the red fits his mean nature. One thing, maybe you should up the red and lower the blue just a tad.

In general, I'm not sure whether I will use this sprite or my first one (the big, mean brute posted a few days ago). I may not make a final submission at all. I'm not terribly excited about making a back sprite for either one, and I really like a couple of sprites submitted by others. We certainly aren't lacking for quality sprites this time around!
Please, I beg of you, PLEASE use this one as your final sprite. It is absolutely brilliant, and pulls you way up in my ranking to a tie for my current vote with Cartoons! If you use this, I promise you my unwavering support ;D

@ Taicho, I still have objections to this;

Please, please, please make it more brown and less green. If you gave it colors similar to Cartoons!' sprite, it would be a front-runner in my opinion.

You guys are all working hard, I see. Too bad that I have to make my comments brief this time around.

@ aragornbird: I can't say which is the better of your two shiney choiced between the green one and the purple one. I will leave the choice of what you ultimately go with up to you.

@ Wyverii: Admittedly, fuchsia would not have been my first choice for the female's eye color since I personally do not happen to like fuchsia, the sprite nonetheless is very good and the eye color is more feminine than the yellow. You are also right about the fact that the fuchsia doesn't stand out as much. Not to mention, your sprites look good.

@ XandZero2: I have only one word to say about the new pose: YES! This strikes a perfect balance between the pose you were initially going for and seing this guys face. Pat yourself on the back.

As for which shiney to go for, I am torn between the one one the left and the one on the right. The blue that you chose for the middle sprite just doesn't work.

@ Cartoons!: I must say that I really like the shiney on the left (I do find that the black dirt on it is a little weird, though), although I wouldn't mind if you went with the one one the right.

And that's all I have to say for the time being. Like I've said before, keep up the good work.

The Red Shiny with the Black drills is my preference. If you are feeling spunky, you could maybe change the gray/brown/white mix into an orange?

Damn, I'm coming into this late. I've skimmed the past few pages but I can't find the submission deadline. I -really- want to participate, but I fear it'll take me a few days with classes and such. ><

@ Cartoons:
I really like your front sprite, however I somewhat dislike your backsprite, I'm not sure but I think it's how the eyes just come out on the side and the massive back.

It's minor, but one thing I was thinking in my head for a few of the sprites is that it might look kinda neat if the shiny color's scars were different colors.
Like... Blue? ...Something. I'unno. Try a few, maybe... If you want. Don't really know how it would look, but it was just something I was throwing around in my head and don't have enough talent to sprite myself.
=X

Also, another thing I noticed is that the front sprites seem rather square, and the back sprite seemed a bit rounded...

The dirt 'splash' from the jump looks fantastic. This is by a very small margin my favorite sprite. If you use that sprite, it will definitely get my vote, because it shows a lot more movement then most of the submissions. Its more interesting and I could see it pulling off 95 speed, as opposed to most of the submissions that look like they're sitting in a hole, which rather represents low speed.

Dugtrio of course contradicts the point I just made but even Dugtrio looks like hes moving.

Anyway I very much prefer your jumping sprite to your old one. Also, interestingly enough, the dirt splash almost looks like Colossoil (*cringe*) is drilling into the ground. Which is a cool effect.

Sorry, I haven't been able to update recently due to schoolwork. So, the backsprite is nearly finished. Also, I want to mess with front sprite a bit but I wouldn't be able to get around to that until tomorrow and I don't know how exactly how much time we have left.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Tweaked the sand for the front sprites so they are more in style with the back sprite's sand. Amazing how much the dynamism can increase with just a few alterations in sand!

Also did a minor palette tweak to the shiny, The drills now have a tinge of blue to them. Gettin' very close to callin' this my final.

Ugh.. KoA, you just made it very, very difficult to choose a favorite between yours and Cartoons' sprite. Both of you are now leaps and bounds ahead of the rest, IMO.

Doug, I actually really like the rock blast. It doesn't look like it's flying anymore, which is definitely a good thing. If you make a final submission or not is your choice, though.

Thanks for the criticisms. I was originally going for a Dugtrio look for the ground, but with more rocks for the sole reason that I wanted it to look a bit more submerged. I probably could add some dappling to the bottom to make it blend in more with the environment, at least. I'll see if I can't fiddle with it a bit more when I get back from school.

On the topic of shinies, I prefer the left one. the right one just looks a little dull.

And just out of curiosity, can someone post the Deadline? I would like to know how much time I have to make adjustments to the Front and actually create a Back.

I like the shiny on the left, but I do have a suggestion for a shiny color scheme:
Drills= Gold
Lower Body= Silver
Upper Body, Claws, and Splotches: Black
Eyes and Scars: Light Blue
But that's just a suggestion.

Cartoons: The shiny on the left is definitely the one to take. Its absolutely perfect.

...but your backsprite isn't.

ONE thing about it is the bottom most drill looks very flat. It doesn't look like a drill, more like a spinning top. I'm not sure how to fix this.
Also, take a look at where the green meets the brown. There's one small splotch of a cross-over when your frontsprite has several.
The saw blade pattern is scaringly repetitive and crumpled up.
One last thing, the eye is very, very small. Very small.

Now this is a lot of changes, but i'm sure with your mad skillz you can make us like your submission for more than just your "black colored shiny"

Still my favorite. But so are Chaos, Taicho, and Wyverii.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)