CAP 3 CAP 3 Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely digging the exploding peapod and the grass lava snake ideas.
For the woodman, I'm sure it could be tweaked a bit to make it look more special based, the canon idea is good. I guess you could just make it look less intimidating?

Also my submission:

It's the pokemon Moses saw.

Elagune second owns, and i agree with both ideas of art before stats and changing arms into flamthrower/something else

Changing Elagune's second designs arms into arm cannon/hammer combo would be a great idea (think Rhyperior's arms). I also agree with some saying it needed a bit more flame element it, more fire shooting out its back holes or something.

Changing Elagune's second designs arms into arm cannon/hammer combo would be a great idea (think Rhyperior's arms). I also agree with some saying it needed a bit more flame element it, more fire shooting out its back holes or something.
I like this idea, but like someone else suggested, there should be more color than just fire and wood colors. Maybe black somewhere? Black always looks cool. Alternatively, you could add a leaf or two somewhere.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to answer your questions because it seemed like you were trying to prove a point, but I don't see it because most of those questions actually have easy explanations to them that actually show how the design of a Pokemon influences how they are played in the game.
I know there is an answer to all my questions. But the answers are not obvious from the art itself. That was my point.

I'll state it another way. If each of the pokemon that I suggested were created in the CAP project and I submitted the artwork from the game, do you thick any of them would have a chance in hell of winning?

For example, suppose we designed a Fighting/Steel pokemon with mixed attacking stats. If I submitted a picture of Lucario (a blue dog) as the art submission -- I would be laughed off the project.

If we designed a bulky Normal/Flying poke and I submitted a picture of Togetic -- you would think I was a moron.

If we designed a Dragon/Ground poke and I sent in a picture of a hammerhead shark -- you wouldn't even consider it.

Yes, I know there is a story and justification for every pokemon design. That is EXACTLY my point. Let's just pick a cool design. We can come up with an interesting backstory to justify it later. Does every pokemon design need to be a visually literal interpretation of it's typing and build? I don't think so. Obviously, Nintendo doesn't think so either.

Yes, I know there is a story and justification for every pokemon design. That is EXACTLY my point. Let's just pick a cool design. We can come up with an interesting backstory to justify it later. Does every pokemon design need to be a visually literal interpretation of it's typing and build? I don't think so. Obviously, Nintendo doesn't think so either.
My point exactly. As long as the design is cool, and at least portrays the main type well (and has hints of the secondary, like Lucario's spikes), it's fine with me. Also, that way artists have more room for their creativity.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Uhh, isn't starting Art in the beginning of the process after determining primary and secondary typing less restricting to their creativity, lol?

At that point they can literally create anything with no restrictions. As much as you might want to argue that there are no stringent trends, there are definitely trends. Starting art at the end would significantly limit creativity, as all the artists would attempt to "justify" their creations with the build, movepool, stats etc.

Art at the beginning has no restrictions. And if it is a continuing topic throughout the entire process, the artists can submit their creations, and then tweak them accordingly, as opposed to having their options limited from the get go.

Anyway, let's more submissions!! I'm talking to you maniac / Doug / mekkah / Koa ;D

@Elagune:
I freaking love this design. Even with this not being a physical Pokemon, the tree pieces could easily represent shielding and defense. It's attacks come out of the crags on it's back, as well as anything else we can think of. I'm liking this one a lot.

Also good, but I don't like the hands here. Perhaps take the blazing hands from your Weaville/Pixie cross and apply them here? That would make this look quite intimidating, while still looking kind of goofy. Like Dragonite.

@CyzirVisheen:

I definately want to see a colored version of this. It has so much potential to be cute yet deadly.

Loving this too. Like the chili pepper crossed with a dinosaur idea. I'd like to see this colored too, though it's easy enough to imagine.

@pyrrhocorax:

Loving this idea. Looks amazing, both artistically and in terms of gameplay.

@Tyranitar.armaldo:

I like this second one, but would need to see it colored to get a true feel for it like we have the previous ones that have been posted. Sort of reminds me of a Naga from warcraft.

Surprised no one has made the porcupine or hedgehog yet though. There seemed to be a decent backing behind it before.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wow tyranitar armaldo, I really like that, but like Dane said, can you color it in for us?

And perhaps only one arm should have a shield like thing, as the Pokemon seems to be both defensive and specially offense, so that is a possible second suggestion.

Still awesome though

This is just... amazing. I really love the design, and it totally fits as a grass type. I really like the Wood=Grass idea!

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's the Jack-O-Lantern concept I've been working on. I'll ink and color it, if there's interest in it.

My working name for this guy is "Hallowmean".

It looks really whicked, but it also seems a little ghost-like especially after Revenankh.

Anyway, here's my lousy piece of drawing:

The idea was that it would be a tree with roots as feet, probably the top of it on fire, as well as a burning fire inside its mouth (for cool Flamethrowers and shit). The arms look like shit, they're supposed to be twigs or such. If anyone with more skills wants to build upon it, I'd be honored, but I doubt it will happen in the face of the other kickass designs (I fucking love woodman).

This has got to win and you can easily make this special, just do a bit of alterations on the arms, make them hollow or something.

Could easily give this the Magma Armor ability :P

And perhaps only one arm should have a shield like thing, as the Pokemon seems to be both defensive and specially offense, so that is a possible second suggestion.
The reason both his arms are shields is that he can slam them together to protect himself from an attack them opens them to unleash a mouth based special attack eg:Solarbeam,Flamethrower.

I will try to colour him in but unfortunatly it will be hard as the only way I could save the picture was through paint so it may take a while to get the colours up, but his head armour and shields are suppsed to be wooden and the front of his body red, while his back is black with the craters and crust a rocky brown.

Damn Doug, that's amazing too. I do agree with Mekkah though, looks a little ghoulish. Any way to make the body seem more materialized rather than ghostish??

DougJustDoug

Damn Doug, that's amazing too. I do agree with Mekkah though, looks a little ghoulish. Any way to make the body seem more materialized rather than ghostish??
Yeah, some earlier sketches looked more material, but it made the figure look too human. I think the lack of color may also be contributing to the ghostly look. I want the body to be green to emphasize the grass look. Without color, it looks white, which just screams "ghost".

I'm sure there are ways to tone down the ghostliness. I also was struggling to avoid putting to much detail in the design, since this will have to become a sprite. By putting a really generic figure on the body, it enables the key features to be the pumpkin, the fire, and the thorny vines. The rest is just background.

As a Jack-O-Lantern, there is no denying the ghoulish flavor of the design, with the Halloween connotation and all. Ghost is intrinsic in the idea of a Jack-O-Lantern. But, so is Fire, and so is Pumpkin (Grass). Jack-O-Lantern was mentioned a lot as a Ghost/Grass or Grass/Fire concept in previous polls. I consider this a Fire/Grass/Ghost design. Unfortunately, triple-typing is not allowed.

TBH, I really like some other people's designs more than my own. But, I put enough work into this that I couldn't bear to not submit it. I don't know if the basic premise of this design has what it takes to go all the way. That's the main reason I didn't ink or color it. It was fun to work on though.

Doug's art looks like a Ghost/Grass type (for the future per chance).

I like the lava grass snake and the wooden tank beast. I can see it having Wooden Hammer, Grass Knot, Fire Blast etc....even leech seed. What would be cool is if it had a mode change to where it is dormant like that but, when sun hits it it comes alive and grows some greenery and lights fires on its body.

If it's the lava snake I would make it look faster because its between medium and fast speed. Right now it reminds me of a grass Magcargo (a poke I have always felt sorry for).

I don't have a scanner, and couldn't find the cable to hook my camera up to my compy, so I took the pic of my drawing with my phone. It's basically the panda idea that was tossed around before. Sorry about the low quality.

This is my guy

Made him from Paint using only circles, lines, rectangles and the eraser as the main tools. Of course I also used copy, past, rotate, flip, skew and edit colours as well, plus the pencil to tidy the skew up

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion

This is my favorite design in the entire topic, Elagune's third design. It proves a Fire/Grass type does not have to have fire coming out of its [wherever], and has a nice blend of fire time and grass type in it, with a little emphasis on the grass typing in the leaves. Its red body symbolizes its fire type, while its design gives it a "powerful" look, both defensively and offensively.

This Pokemon is exotic and ancient in appearance, and probably lives in forests that surround a hulking volcano.

I have to agree with Dane, however, that the hands seem...odd. It gives it too much of a physical feel, and I think you should change that. However, I disagree with the addition of fire, because it will in turn destroy the serene and gentle (but powerful) look of the Pokemon, just like Dragonite.

A lot of people in this topic are simply going by what looks "awesome," but this art really found a place in my heart. It is beautiful, and I think it perfectly resembles our Fire/Grass type Pokemon.

Haha, great to see all this feedback on my designs. I realized that a lot of the sentiment amongst you guys was that the Woodman design, as you guys have named it, looks more like a physical wall than anything else and wanted flamethrowers on the arms.

Here is my offering.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)